CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 1, 2009

The Airport

The Airport

Every Wednesday from 1:00pm-5:00pm I volunteer with USO at the airport here. The Marine in this (blurry) picture is my friend William. He is a recruit liasion. He and another Marine, Brosnan keep me company and entertained while I'm there. Image

�I think I could write a book on the things that have happened to me out there.� Yesterday was a great day for the airport. I needed it after what happened with my family friend. I sooooo needed things to make me smile and I was not let down. Let's see.. I had a soldier ask me out on a date and tell me I was beautiful..(uh huh whatever..lol) I had one take HIS wristband off and give it to me. Which was nice considering I'm usually the one giving mine away. But what made this day stand out more than any other was the man in the wheelchair. Two ladies came up to my counter for no reason in particular. They were pretty much just yapping.� So while they're talking I'm filling out my daily log book for the USO. Out of the corner of my eye I see this elderly man in a wheelchair. I don't think much of it. Then I hear him say to the lady pushing him, "stop stop stop stop." So in front of my booth she stops.� With great difficulty he gets to a standing position and he walks over to where my booth is. He reaches into his pocket and takes out a dollar and puts it in my donation bucket. He then carefully turns and goes back over and sits down in his wheelchair. He turns and looks at me and the only words I can think of are "thank you". He nods his head and off he went. I have no idea if he is a veteran...I have no idea who he is period. But his actions filled my heart with a sense of goodness that I can't explain. I feel so lucky to have been there to see it.� �

said 40 months ago Edit · Delete · Permalink · 0 Comments

0 comments: