CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 1, 2009

the circle continues

And the Circle Continues

I got a message on my phone last night from my Aunt Mary saying she needed my help with an incoming flight. The flight was coming in at 2:30AM and I got the message at 12:30AM! So I rush home and put on my USO clothes and head over to the air field. Before I can get to the air field I see the plane landing. Oh crap!! I'm late!!And it's only 1:10!! ��I get my pass and make my way to the hangar. Funny thing..there were no busses out front..hmmmm...that's strange. But I figure the plane is early so maybe the busses are late???�So I go inside and look for my aunt. She's so frazzled!�She comes up to me and starts telling me that a huge mess is going on. She says instead of an incoming flight, this is actually an outgoing flight! She has no care packages to give out and she's frantic. I look across the room..and sitting on the floor are about 40 soldiers. They're just sitting and waiting. Damn! I wasn't mentally prepared for this! I thought this was a happy occasion?!� I'm not ready to do deployments again..it's too soon! I try to help my aunt find calling cards and wipes to give out to whomever wants them. I'm making my way around the room handing them out..and here comes the busses! Three busloads of soldiers..123 total. I turn away and go back to handing out wipes. I go up to two guys sitting on the floor and ask them if they'd like a phone card?..They both say yes..so I hand them a card and one�says, "I'd like one of those wristbands too if you have another." I look down and see my "freedom" wristband. I told him I didn't have another, but he could have mine. So I took my band off and told him I had to put it on him. That it was my rule that I only give them away if I can put it on them. He agreed. Then he surprised me and said,"Will you be here when I come home?" I shook my head yes..he said," I'll give this back to you when I get back." I could only shake my head and smile. When the time came for them to get on the plane , which was 5:15 AM..NOT 2:30, they came out in a single file line. They had 6 American flags over their heads when they walked out. Three on each side of the walkway. As they walked by shaking hands with people wishing them well I looked at each face. So young, so innocent, yet carrying a weapon as big as some of them were. One young guy in particular caught my eye and I watched him go by. As he made his way to the plane he turned and looked back..and he continued to look back. It was like he was trying to memorize every detail his eyes could take in. Then I started thinking..this could really be the last time he sees American soil. He may not make it home. An overwhelming sadness hit me and in the darkness hiding behind the huge American flag I held, I silently stood weeping. As the tears ran down my cheeks..the young guy got further away. I watched until he made it on the plane and I lost sight of him. I shook myself out of the daze I was in and started saying goodbye to the rest of those deploying. All of a sudden I see this wrist shoot up in the air! And I hear, " I got you! I got you right here! And I'm bringing this home to you!!"� It was my wristband guy! He was holding his wrist high above the crowd and yelling to me.� "I'll be right here waiting for you to come home!" I yelled back to him. And with a huge grin he turned and disappeared. With the last of the soldiers on board the other�volunteers (USO and Red Cross) made their way inside so they could go home.� I stood alone..just me and my flag and waited.�A soldier came up behind me and said," Wow..you wait until they load?" I said, " I not only wait until they load, I wait until they leave. It's the least I can do. It's my job to see them off." "Thats awesome! Most people wouldn't be that thoughtful." he said. �I looked around at the empty tarmac and said, " No, apparently not.But I want to make sure that if one of them looks out their window they will see someone who cares about them standing here waving goodbye."� So in silence we watched the plane taxi away and then leave. When I couldn't see it anymore I too left. �

0 comments: