CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 1, 2009

Another Great Day

Another Great Day

�I got a call from my aunt on Sunday. She needed my help bringing in the last of the Air Guard from Georgia. Would I be interested in helping? Of course!! She tells me to meet her at 0500 because "wheels down" time was 0600. A little while later she calls me back and says "wheels down" time has changed to 0500..so meet her at 0400. Wow! That's way early!! But no problem. Well..we get to the air field only to find it all locked up tight. After waiting around about 15 minutes someone came and opened it up. They gave us the news that "wheels down" was now 0645! For some reason I'm not surprised. I've yet to bring in a flight that landed on time.But this is not a big deal to me.�It was just important for them come home...end of story.� Well..at 0640 we got word that the plane had landed and they were getting the luggage off etc. I was with the families so it would be at least another hour before they made it to where�I was. Well...0730 came..0800...0830..0900..0930..still no troops..??� Then at 0945�we saw the buses. The waiting for the families was over..their loved ones were home finally. I've never been this close to a homecoming. I've usually been in the �background. But this time I was right there! The bus doors opened right in front of me. And off they stepped. Each one straining his neck to find his family. There were new babies being introduced to daddies for the first time..kisses, hugs �and tears all around me. There are no words I can use to describe the feelings I get being part of things like this. It's overwhelming to say the least.�You see the buses coming and the familes start cheering, the bus drivers start blowing the horns..the guys are hanging out the windows waving little flags..people are wiping away the tears that are�streaming down their cheeks..jumping up and down and calling out the names of the ones they've been waiting on�for what seems like forever. And in the midst of all the joyful reunions..off just in the distance..I see it gently waving in the breeze..A beautiful sight to see..there�high upon a flag pole waves Old Glory.�Flying high and proud. �What a great day to be an American.�

0 comments: