CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 1, 2009

WELCOME HOME Banners and Goodbye Tears

Another Wednesday afternoon at the airport has come and gone. Another day of raging emotions also. Our airport is very small. In fact the new parking garage being built is almost the same size as the whole airport. But for it's size..wow..a lot of people watching happens. A lot of soldiers coming home on leave and sadly a lot of soldiers returning to Iraq. A very heartwarming and heartbreaking thing all at once. Sitting at my booth excited anxious and giddy wives run over to me to inquire about gate passes. They have balloons, flowers, flags, welcome home banners and lastly..little children in tow. All of them dressed in their best..because their daddy is coming home today!! A day they have waited months for is finally here. They round the corner to the gates and I lose sight of them. A short time later I will see them going down the escalator. One big mass of hugging and holding on to a set of ACU's with an overwhelmed soldier inside. All smiles and happiness and ready for 2 whole weeks of family fun. Now two weeks later..they're back in the airport. This time no balloons, no banners or flowers..this time smiles that are forced and tears..many many tears. Instead of hugging daddy around the neck..the children are clinging to his legs. It is so hard to sit and watch this go on. I can't even fathom what it's like to be that family. Once again they round the corner out of my sight. A short time later, I see the wife again. Holding the hands of her children. Her head is held high and she is holding back tears. She starts down the escalator and looks my way. I smile a sympathetic smile..a look that says I know you're hurting..I know you're in pain..and I'm so very sorry.

0 comments: