CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 1, 2009

I have another story of a wristband:

� On Labor Day weekend my husband and I went to downtown Savannah to a place called River Street. Because it was Labor Day weekend there was a great many people out. There was also a live band. We stopped and we were listening to this band. Well we were in the back of the crowd and I looked to my left and there stood �two young military guys and their wives. One guy had a camcorder and he was filming the band. He knew every word to every song. I felt a bit left out because I had never heard of this band called Keni Thomas and Cornbread.� Image� I noticed the guy filming had a black bracelet on. I thought it to be a KIA bracelet. So I asked him and he showed it to me. The music was pretty loud so I didn't ask for the info behind the bracelet. If he had wanted to talk about it he would have. But I did ask him who the band was and the story behind it.� Well...I was about to be enlightened. This guys face lit up and he said "That's Keni Thomas. They based a character in the movie Black Hawk Down on him. He was a Ranger. He's an inspiration to us all."� He continued on with the story of Keni Thomas...how he was on his way to reenlist and a chaplain stopped him and told him he would do better work and reach more people by continuing with his music and supporting �the troops. How now he works tirelessly to do just that. I was very impressed with what I was hearing.� Then this very slow song began to play and he looks and me and tells me it's his favorite song. So I listen to the words and I can see why it would be. It goes into it's last verse :

A young captain at attention, a star pin on his chest
He recalls the battle while the final roll call's read
They were the finest soldiers it was my priviledge to lead
They deserve the medals the men who died not me

Not me not me I just did what i was called to do you'd do the same if it was you
Not me not me
The world becomes a better place when someone stands
and leads the way steps forward when they'd rather say not me

Yeah steps forward when they'd rather say Not me

I got this big lump in my throat and I looked over at him... his eyes misty too...without saying a word I removed my wristband took his hand and placed it it on his arm. The smile on his face was priceless. He looked as if I'd just given him a winning lottery ticket! We kept listening to the band and I noticed he kept looking down at his arm. He finally turns to me and says," this is so cool!! I've never seen one like this!"� I smiled and� said," I know..not many around. That's what makes it special"

When the band stopped and things quieted down some my husband asked him where they from and if they were going back to Iraq. The young guy looks over at his wife and his sleeping daughter in her stroller and says quietly, "Yes sir. We go back next month. Hopefully I won't be gone more than a year."� We wished him well and he went over to talk to Keni. He beamed as Keni �shook his hand and slapped him on the back. He turned to us and waved as they made their way thru the crowd to leave.�I watched him�until I lost him in the crowd. I said a silent prayer for him and those of like him.��I will always wonder what happened to that young guy with the beaming smile. Wherever he is I hope he's safe�...bless his heart.

said 40 months ago Edit · Delete · Permalink · 2 Comments

0 comments: