CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 1, 2009

A Happy Ending

One of the hardest things I have to do is deploy soldiers. The most heartbreaking of things I have to do is deploy soldiers near holidays. This year was no different sadly. I got a phone call on the 19th saying I had a flight of 74 soldiers leaving at 5AM the next morning. I hung up the phone and sighed. I couldn't help but think about the families who were going to have an empty place at the table for Christmas dinner. Or even worse, the soldiers I was about to have to send off to be away from their families during the holidays. My heart was heavy and my spirits were low as I went off at 1:00 AM to do my job. I honestly just didn't want to go this time. I just didn't want to be the one to see them when they left. But I also know that I would rather it be me than no one at all. On this flight no other volunteers came forward to work . It was just me and my aunt. Everyone else had other plans. But to me these flights are a priority and I will do everything I can to be there. So I get to the terminal and get everything set up. I put out extra snacks and had extra phone cards. If they were going to have to miss Christmas stateside with their families, then by God I was going to make sure they got the best I could give them.!! I feel it's the very least I can do. So we're waiting on them to get there when the guy who runs the terminal comes over to us. He told us thank you for coming on such short notice. That he really appreciated our support. Then he dropped the bomb..he said the guys coming in were the Puerto Rican National Guard and they weren't going to Iraq..they were going HOME! Their time here was up and they were going back home...to their families...for Christmas!! I was so happy I almost cried. I had walked around that place feeling like somebody had shot my dog only to have all that weight lifted off my shoulders. I don't think I have ever seen a happier bunch of soldiers when they finally got there. And I have to say I was so happy for them. What a great gift they were getting..the gift of home and family.

I am deeply saddened that because of deployment, I won't have my soldiers at my table for Christmas. But I'm truly grateful that 74 families just added an extra place at theirs.

0 comments: