CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 1, 2009

tonight

Tonight I Brought Home a Friend

Last May I helped with "Family Day" for the 48th Brigade. It was a day of fun for the soldiers and thier families before they deployed. I was handing out drinks when a familiar face came up to me. It took me a second to realize who he was..but then it dawned on me..this was one of my son's best friends dad. Someone I had known for years. I never knew he was in the Guard! Then it began to sink in as to why he was there..he was leaving. I called my husband over and told him and we all three just stood there. We just looked at each other..at a loss for words. I looked at Bill (my husband) and his eyes were filling with tears. The hardest thing to do for me is to put a soldier on a plane going to war..it's even harder when it's someone you know. After shaking off the dumbfounded moment we were in, we talked a bit. He asked Bill if he'd help out his wife is she needed something and make sure they were ok? Bill agreed to do whatever he could. Then he left and we haven't heard from him since..well guess what? Tonight he came home! It was raining and 3:oo AM..but he came home! I could tell who it was coming towards me..I could make out his shape and swagger even in the rain. I couldn't really get excited to see him too much or hug him or anything because we aren't supposed to know the people we send off or bring home. This was a fluke..but what a great fluke it was! I'm only sorry I couldn't be there to see him reunite with his family again. My best wishes go out to the Brooks family... WELCOME HOME TERRY!!!!! �

0 comments: