CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 1, 2009

Wreaths Across America

There's a sacred place near here. It's a place where warriors are remembered. They are immortalized with an eastern redbud tree. This tree was chosen because it blooms beautiful bright pink flowers in late March to early April. The same time that the war in Iraq began. There are 363 trees on the walk at the moment. Each tree is dedicated to a fallen soldier. A granite marker with rank and name stand in front. Some trees give you a sense of who the soldier was in life. I'm always amazed at the things you find at the base of the trees. Books, toy cars, flags, beer bottles, soda cans, pictures, angels..you name it and there's a chance it's there. Sadly however some soldiers don't have family nearby. Their trees are much more simple. Two American flags, a small bouquet of silk flowers and the marker are all they have. It's a very sad thing to see. On December 15th, 2007 however every tree got a little taste of Christmas when 373 wreaths were laid in conjunction with the Wreaths Across America program.

At 8:30 in the morning me, my husband and 2 kids went down to Ft. Stewart to volunteer and help with the ceremony. We unpacked box after box of fresh green wreaths with bright red bows. Each one belonging to a soldier who had made the ultimate sacrifice. The sky was bright and blue, not a cloud in sight. The ceremony started at 12 noon and the stands were full with family and friends. Then the rain came. The National Anthem was being sung across the parade field. I looked out thru the pouring rain at the 3rd ID sign on the other side of Cottrell Field. I sat listening to COL Buchs talk about the selfless courage of the fallen. Behind me raindrops are tapping on an umbrella. The weather wasn't making the day any easier. The call came for the families to go get a wreath and place it on their warriors' tree. I could see one lone man making his way across the parade field. His umbrella clutched in one hand, the beautiful wreath in the other hand. The public was asked to take a wreath and place it on any tree that didn't have one. My daughter got one and my son got one. My daughter placed it on a tree near the end of the walk. My son placed it on the tree of a young soldier whose family I have grown quite fond of, the Kirkpatricks. I sent their son off to Iraq and met them at his tree ceremony. So it was quite touching to see my son honoring theirs.

With all the wreaths laid we were walking down the path to the car. It was very hard not to notice the families around the trees. Small children holding the hands of tearful mothers. I came to a sight I will never forget..a soldier on one knee. His head bowed with one hand on the granite marker the other covering his face as he wept. I had the urge to go over and try to comfort him. But I dared not invade his grief. So I walked by only to stop a few feet away to look back. He was still there..the raindrops masking his tears.

0 comments: