CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 1, 2009

A Homecoming

A Homecoming

I was lucky enough to be at another homecoming this week. 107 soldiers came home to Hunter. If you've never been to a homecoming here let me say..there is NO other feeling like it.�Because these soldiers are stationed at Hunter Army Airfield they have homecomings in huge hangars. I had a blackhawk behind me and an apache on my right! It was pretty cool to say the least. The hangar has very tall doors. They keep the doors closed while you're waiting on the troops to make it over from the plane. The closed doors only heighten the anxiety level. You never know when the soldiers are on the other side. On this day, the commander said to the crowd," I think these soldiers are wondering if this hangar is empty? They don't hear any noise in�� here!! " Of course the entire place, even the civilian crews working on the equipment, went into a thunderous applause and cheers. But the doors didn't open! Hmmm...a minute or two later the commander says the same again only this time adding that these soldiers had been gone for�a year..they deserved more applause !! Wow..I thought I would go deaf after he said that. A loud buzzer rang and the door on my left opened..it revealed a group of soldiers standing in formation...there they were!!! The other side opened and revealed the rest. People were cheering..crying and waving tiny flags.� What an awesome experience. I even took my kids out of school early so they could be there. But that is a story for another entry. Image� When you're part of things like this it truly makes you humble. It makes you realize the sacrifice the troops and their familes undergo. To be there when they come home is an honor and it is something I will never, ever take for granted.

0 comments: