CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 1, 2009

Remembering...

I feel as if I should write something for today. But with the day almost over, my mind is still blank..yet my heart is full. I'm a simple person and I think I could be described in a few words..wife, mother, friend..and a patriette ( is that a word? if not it is now) So how can i possibly describe to anyone what Memorial Day means to me? Where do i even begin? How do you remember and pay tribute to those who believed in something so much that they were willing to lay down their lives for it? That's too big for me to wrap my brain around. But I can tell you from my bubble what i witness and what I know. I have seen tens of thousands soldiers leave for overseas. Most times I'm the last person they pass by before getting on the plane. I'm the very last smile, hand shake, be safe or touch they get..because the harsh reality is they won't all come home..Even though the USO motto is "Until They All Come Home"..even the USO can't make that happen. So how do I put that into words? Knowing I'm the last one..it's a heavy weight to carry..but I get to go home to my family..they go to war. They sacrifice everything they have..so i can go home. So I will carry the weight of being the last one. They may not remember my name or face..but they will know someone was there for them.
Which brings me to today..I had all intentions of going to Warriors Walk today..but i didn't make it. I bought the flags and windsocks to take..they are still wrapped up in the bags..i didn't make it. Did I forget? HELL NO..I would NOT and will NEVER forget. One of my soldiers came over for the day. He was alone at home and didn't want to be. So he stayed here. I asked him to go with me to Warriors Walk but he said no. He had memories of his own to remember his friends by. I respect that but I also made a promise to two families..I gave my word I would always try my best to take something to their loved ones tree. and was guilt ridden over the thought of letting them down..but I thought of it all..my soldier was friends with one of the fallen I was going to see..so I wondered what would he rather me do? Leave his buddy alone to go remember him at Ft Stewart? Or remember him in my own way and take care of his buddy? Soldiers are selfless..so I knew the answer. I stayed home. And at sunset I sat alone holding my flag up to Heaven and whispered words of gratitude to each brave soul looking down on me and the sight of the tiny flag blowing in the wind. I guess it doesn't matter how you remember..just so long as you do..
Tomorrow..I go to Ft Stewart and I will keep my promise.

said 6 days ago Edit · Delete · Permalink · 0 Comments

0 comments: