CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 1, 2009

The Human Spirit

I have only recently become a fan of the TV show Extreme Home Makeover. I always thought the show just went around and picked people who needed home repairs done. Boy was I wrong! The older episodes come on CMT every day. Almost each one is a family who has had some form of tragedy happen to them (which is why they need help). I cry every day when I watch it. Most people ask me why I watch it if it's sad and makes me cry? Well..because even though it's sad, it ends happy..or bittersweet at times. It feels cleansing. The show I watched today was bittersweet..a dying mans wish was granted..and he literally passed within days of seeing his dream come true. Sadly he never made it out of the hospital to actually see the home that was built for his family. But he was awake and aware that it was being done. His wife said that he would live on in the house long after his passing..his spirit would be there. And she didn't mean as ghost spirit..but the essence of him. As I sat on the floor glued to the TV tears made familiar trails down my cheeks. My kids both watching silently with me..and neither of them asked why I was crying. I suppose they felt the same pain the family was feeling..of the kids who just lost their dad. I sat and watched and thought...what incredible beings we humans are. Each one of us so different and special. Some of us give all we have to give..and others take all they can take. Some of us are kind and generous. Others are selfish and greedy.Some of love to the point of being taken for granted. Others never really learn to love at all. Some of trust to the point of being made a fool. Others lie because it's easier than telling the truth.Yet we all possess a spirit.. the spirit of a human is an incredible thing. It can be lifted, renewed, revived, lifted or broken, crushed and killed. I would know for I have experienced them all. But somehow I always bounce back..what does that say of my spirit?

0 comments: