CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 1, 2009

Young, Afraid and Far From Home

Young, Afraid and Far From Home

At the airport there have been many new graduates of basic training coming to Fort Stewart. 99% of them don't look to be old enough to� be shaving yet..but they are old enough to go into combat.� ImageLast week at 4:45 my husband calls and tells me a severe storm is on it's way and I should think of leaving my USO booth a bit earlier than usual. I decide to take his advice because I'm terrified of storms and don't want to be driving home in bad weather. So I begin taking the� stuff off the counter�and putting it up in the back room. I come out of the back room and there before me is a young man in an Army uniform. He has been waiting in the reception room for the shuttle to Fort Stewart. �I smile at him and ask him if there's something I can do for him? He looks down at his boots and says, " Well, mam..see..I just got out of AIT and Fort Stewart is going to be �my first duty station. And well..I wanted to talk to my mama, but her cell phone is off and I don't have any other way of contacting her."� "Ok," I say and�� I wait to see what he's going to say next..then he breaks my heart..�"You see mam..well...I'm really scared and lonely �and I just really wanted to talk to my mama. So, I was wondering ..if it's not too much trouble..if maybe I can talk to you?" I'm at a loss for words.."Me? You want to talk to me?" I had to ask him. He says, " Yes mam if it's ok..I know you're probably busy..but I'm really nervous. "� I just look at him and say," Listen..you've done the hard part..you finished basic..you're done with AIT..it's all gravy from here."� I tell him about some of the other guys that I've seen come in that day and how nice and supportive the community around Fort Stewart is. A good bit of time passes and he seems much more relaxed. In the meantime the storm is raging outside. If I had left early I would have made it home before�the storm..but I would have missed something so much more important..I would have missed getting to know this sweet young soldier. Someone who just needed an ear to listen and a few kind words of reassurance. I was so glad to have been there for him. As a mom, I can only hope that somewhere down the road if my son or daughter need the same thing, they will find it even if it is a stranger who helps them. In the end, I wound up staying an extra hour and a half�with him until the shuttle came. He was standing talking to me about his brother when the driver walked in. I told him that was his shuttle and he went to get his bags. He came out of the room with both arms loaded with�all his bags. As he passed me he turned his head my way and said thank you. I told him he was welcome and watched him load up in the van that would take him to his new home. I walked back to my counter and just stood for a good while and just thought about what had just happened. I had just made a difference in a persons life. It was so small and yet so huge all at the same time. Wow....just...wow.......�

0 comments: