CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 1, 2009

Overdue trip

An Overdue Trip

�I made a trip today. It was a trip I was supposed to make on August 12. However different family things kept keeping me away. But today, I finally made my trip...I made my trip to honor my friend Rusty at Warriors Walk on Fort Stewart. I had my husband and two of my soldiers with me..but only my husband went with me to Rusty's tree.� Both of my soldiers have friends memorialized at the walk and for their own reasons chose to stay by the car.� We made our way down the concrete walkway between the trees. Names, faces and memories on each side.� As I made my way to his tree I took in the�other trees. Each one a tribute to a lost loved one. This place is so moving there's really no way to describe it. There are wind chimes, pictures, flags, flowers and many homemade items made by children. Children who miss whoever the tree is dedicated to..that they will never see again. I pass each one, getting closer to the person's tree I came to honor. I know exactly where his tree is and my heartbeat quickens as I get closer. My chest gets tighter, my breathing becomes more rapid. The more I try to keep it together the more I fall apart. My pace slowed�..then stopped..I was at my tree. Kneeling down, I straightened his tiny�flags, the flags I brought on my last visit.�This trip I brought him a wind sock colored like an American flag. I tied the string onto a branch and let the wind take it. The red and white streamers fluttered with the breeze. I stood back and watched for a few minutes, then turned to leave. About half way down the path I looked back one last time. That's when I noticed how much the wind sock made his tree stand out. It was billowing brightly trying to get the worlds attention. I smiled to myself and made my way out of this sacred place. Back to my waiting friends..back to the real world..my mission was complete.

said 33 months ago Edit · Delete · Permalink · 2 Comments

0 comments: