CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 1, 2009

The Making Of A Volunteer

Please meet my friend John. John is best friends with my soldier Jason, which is how we met. He came to visit in October of 2006 and liked it so much here he moved here from Connecticut. Since meeting John that October he has been a constant source of support to me. When my soldiers left he told me that he knew he couldn't fill their shoes but that he'd be there for me if I needed him. It was then that we became fast friends. Because in talking to him, I realized that he, just like me, felt left behind. Apparently at some point he had plans with Jason to join the Army. For whatever reason his plans fell through but Jason continued on. I think in John's eyes he thinks he somehow let Jason down or that he is less of a man for his decision. He couldn't be further off. In talking to him over these months I have found him to be very genuine. He possesses a kindness that is hard to match. And a quiet strength about him that's unfathomable. It was all these qualities that made me decide to bring him into my little bubble of a world. I saw him on the outside looking in. Asking me about USO, deployments and troop support. So when I won the trip to NY, I made sure he got to come along. He rode the train over from Connecticut and met us at the awards. I was so glad to have him there and introduce him to my friends Brian and Michelle. But most of all I wanted him to meet my soldier Will Castillo. I didn't want him to be on the outside anymore. I think I can truly say he had a memorable evening. He moved to Georgia 2 months later. I had asked him if he'd be interested in going to USO and volunteering with me? He said he would. So on a night that he was off work early enough l took him to his first homecoming. The planes are seldom on time so we spend a great deal of time waiting and standing around. As we're standing there a chaplain comes up and shakes my hand and thanks me for being there. Then does the same to John. Even after all this time I still get misty eyed when that happens...then I realize it's the first time John has ever been thanked. I look over at him and he has the biggest smile..I say," It just doesn't get better than that does it?" He shakes his head no. Finally the plane comes in. A huge c5 that breaks thru the rain clouds and leaves us all saying WOW!!!!! It lands and the soldiers start coming off. The look on his face was priceless. He was as happy to be there as I was. And I was so proud to have him there. I was so glad to be able to give him that experience. And to be able to show him that not everyone belongs on those planes. Some of us have to stay behind so we can be there when they come home. If everyone is on the plane then who will be there to cheer and applaud as the troops go by? You don't need to fill anyone else's shoes John. You have your own shoes to wear.
You never know the heart that beats inside of a person until you give them the chance to shine. And there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer. I have a message for John. It's from one of my soldiers in Iraq....he said to tell you...thank you.

0 comments: